Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering sometimes called ‘manufacturing’ or ‘process’ engineering. It’s a very broad field which produces, transforms and transports materials at lab level through to large scale production.
Chemical engineering impacts every part of our life. The water we drink, materials for clothes, fuel, plastic, metals, pharmaceuticals and waste disposal. Chemical engineers work in all these industries and more.
Chemical engineering is also an integral part of the response to climate change, through developing and implementing renewable, sustainable technologies and embedding the circular economy.
The Chemical College represents members working in chemical engineering roles around Australia.
Our role is to:
- Maintain, develop and promote the chemical engineering body of knowledge.
- Develop and audit accreditation standards for tertiary degrees and chartered status.
- Provide expert advice for continuing professional development (CPD) in the field of chemical engineering.
- Contribute to national and international standards and policies relevant to the field.
The Chemical College is run by a board of elected representatives. Board and Advisory Board members for 2023 are:
- Grant Scott FIEAust CPEng EngExec – Chair
- Keith Sharp FIEAust CPEng EngExec – Deputy Chair
- Hannah Campbell CPEng NER
- Dr Hui Tong Chua HonFIEAust CPEng EngExec NER
- Bernadette Cullinane FIEAust
- Merrill Gray FIEAust NER
- Kathryn McDonald MIEAust
- Previn Pillay TMIEAust CPEngT NER
- Prof Robin Batterham AO FREng FAA FTSE
- Prof Christine Ehlig-Economides
- Dr Marlene Kanga AM FTSE HonFIEAust HonFIChemE
- Dr Grant Lukey FIEAust
- Liza Maimone FIEAust CPEng EngExec NER
- Prof Veena Sahajwalla FAA FTSE HonFIEAust CPEng
We have branches in every state and territory in Australia that deliver CPD to Engineers Australia members and guests with online and in-person training and events.
Visit our Learning and events page to see a full list of available CPD opportunities
- World Chemical Engineering Council
- Asian Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering
- Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Chemistry Australia
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
- Australian Institute of Dangerous Goods Consultants
- Australasian Particle Technical Society
- Materials Australia
- Society for Engineering in Agriculture